Learn more about Philips Research China, please click http://www.research.philips.com/locations/shanghai.html
Philips Research China (PRCN) has been established in Shanghai since the year 2000. Our focus is on breakthrough innovation, aimed at generating new business for Philips, and to support existing business. Working with industrial and academic partners, we speed up innovation and help create technologies that really matter and get adopted. We call this Open Innovation. We are an integral part of Philips’ international research program and have extensive collaborations with the Philips labs across the world. Our vision focuses on simplicity, making technology an integral – but invisible – part of everyday life. PRCN currently has over 100 research scientists working in the fields of Healthcare, Lifestyle Applications, and Lighting.
As PRCN continues to grow, we are constantly looking for dynamic, highly energized people to join and grow with PRCN.
To grow the LED lighting business of Philips in China, we are seeking a highly motivated individual to join the Lighting System & Application department of Philips Research Asia- Shanghai as a scientist of lighting application and optical engineering.
• Actively collaborating with innovation partners within and outside of Philips to enhance and to accelerate the innovation
• Understanding customer insights, market trend and technical trend in the lighting application field and identifying technical gaps;
• Working closely with colleagues, partners and customers to develop differentiators that can fulfill the customer unmet needs;
• Propose new technologies and generate differentiating solutions to meet business needs
• Understand the urban lighting requirements, and translate it into the technical challenges in the system design.
• Lead the urban project to create the innovation in LED urban lighting system solutions, from LED chip level to lighting system solution level
• Lead the optical innovation for urban luminaire to meet both functional and design requirements, and benchmarking with existing luminaire solutions.
• Working cross functional within R&D to challenge & improve existing knowledge on lighting with new technologies
• Well communicating with business partners and delivering high quality results in the forms of patent invention, technical report, and the proof of the concept demonstrations/prototypes etc;
• Broad understanding of norms and knowledge of various lighting applications.
• Broad understanding of norms and knowledge of optical design and optical system
• Understand customer insights and manage uncertainties;
• Identify and discover the major technical challenges along the industrial trend
• Generate innovative ideas and develop technical solutions to fulfill the unmet needs.
As a successful candidate:
You will be a senior research scientist as the senior system architect for luminaire solutions who is leading the innovations in LED luminaires for outdoor applications.
• Education: Master / Ph.D. degree in optics, especially in non-imaging optics design or related field of study;
• Proficient with optical design work with optical design software such as light tools
• Proficient with lighting application research and design with some specific lighting application design software such as Dialux, AGI32
• Working experience: >3 years working experience as system architect in LED luminaire design, in optical design, experience and knowledge of architectural lighting and lighting perception will be a strong plus.
• Competency and Skills:
• Self-motivated, pro-active behaviour, architectural thinking, open-minded, result oriented and quality driven; Strong problem solving skill; Good communication and presentation skills; good spoken and written English (CET level 6 or higher) and Chinese (Mandarin); quick learning ability; strong team spirit.
Interested candidates please send your resume to Emily Qian at Emily.QIAN@philips.com, and specify where you see this position advertised.